Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Signs

It was a long time ago, but here's what I remember:

Oh, my God! WHY would someone fill the first, oh I dunno, HOUR AND A HALF of a movie with *absolutely nothing*? I sat there the whole time virtually jaw-dropped at how boring the movie is. You know how at the beginning of a movie it might show, for example, a guy smoking a cigarette, and then you expect the action to start.. well, this was a lot of waiting. For this movie I think they didn't quite have enough action to fill half a full-length film.

I would've said that the *rest* of the movie was okay, except for the fact that any movie that paints aliens in a negative light is...how can I put this delicately...using the concept of "aliens" like a cheap whore. It's too important a matter to use just to stimulate our fears. To give our brothers (the Zeta Reticuli, et al) a bad name just for cheap thrills, or even to convey a philosophical concept, is just _not_ worth it. You hearing me, Hollywood writers?

Also, I think that Shyamalan's movies are characteristically rather thin in central idea. As in, good central idea, but perhaps it would have worked better as a bed-time story (for your daughter). But I did like the idea of this one..synchronicity. Something people are generally too afraid to explore. (The only other example I know of is Indigo.) So if people are willing to wait through the whoole movie just to see the ending, then I think that it's a good movie to be out there on the shelves. Thank You For Watching.

Although, on second thought, I still think that conveying an inspiring spiritual message by way of disparaging all non-Earthy beings in the universe in general (by virtue of the fact that *any* impressions we have now are necessarily first impressions) is still a little strangely clashing (or maybe a lot), and doesn't make me feel wholly enthusiastic about this movie. Perhaps then, it's just one for the archives.

No comments: